New month….new goals….
Before I set out my new goals for November, I would just like to take a few moments to go over how I got on with my October goals, it was a bit of a mixed bag to be honest…
- Read a chapter of a book every day: I have definitely read a lot more this month. The first book I completed was ‘Supercoach: 10 Secrets to Transform Anyone’s Life by Michael Neill.’ I did enjoy this book, but there was a lot to take in so think that I will re-visit it when I am on holiday and try and take down some notes whilst doing so. It contains a lot of inspirational quotes which make you stop and think, some which you may see in my motivational posts in the future I am sure! I am now currently in the middle of ‘Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown’ this is a guide to making the most out of your time each day, the art of doing less but achieving more. The author is trying to make you question everything you do in the pursuit of creating a more fulfilling life. I am about halfway through at the moment. I will admit that I haven’t read every day, but definitely have managed to the majority of the month. I have enjoyed reading something different as these are essentially the first ‘self-help’ books that have made it onto my kindle. It is certainly a habit which I would like to continue.
- Get outside more: I really struggled with this target. The weather was certainly against me! Although I know I won’t melt in the rain, it is certainly hard to motivate yourself to get outside in the cold and wet to go for a walk.
- Deadlift 115kg: If you saw my latest instagram post you will have noted that yes I did reach this Personal Best! Training for my deadlift has been going really well this past month and I have enjoyed playing about with percentage training with the overall aim of increasing my 1RM. Training was going so well in fact that I actually gave myself the new target of 120kg as I really felt that I had this lift in me. But it wasn’t to be. I got the bar off the floor, and according to a friend at the gym I was probably only about an inch of locking out. I won’t lie, I was super disappointed, to the point where I just wanted to pack up and call it a day for the session. But with some words of encouragement, I took some time, refocused and tried for 115kg which I got. I need to remember that this is a huge PB by 10kg so shouldn’t be too disheartened!! It is also the first time that I have embarked on this style of targeted training and I really enjoyed it. Therefore, after christmas I think I am going to look at starting a more structured strength training programme for the three big lifts and see how strong I can get!
Right….now onto November goals:
- Try a new recipe once a week
I get in the habit of cooking the same things over and over again, which don’t get me wrong isn’t a problem at all, but I would like to expand my repertoire a little bit and try some new ideas. My Mum surprised me with the new Jamie Oliver ‘Everyday Super Food’ book which was on my wish list, and upon flicking through there are lots of meals which I would like to try so this will be my starting point! (I have also got my eye on the new Nigella Lawson book but may have to restrain myself until after Christmas to invest in that one!)
- Switch off from technology when I get into bed
Once I go upstairs to bed I would like to disengage from all social media and focus on winding down before sleep. I used to be good in the fact that I would set my alarm and that was it. But now I find myself browsing through Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat…..once I get into bed for up to an hour before switching off at night! Research has shown that this will lead to better quality sleep, Hopefully this will lead to a better quality of sleep each night.
- Lose 1lb a week
I don’t like to focus on my scale weight when assessing progress. However with my holiday to Thailand coming up in 5 weeks, I know that if I stick to 1lb a week weight loss I will be around a weight which I am comfortable at when putting on a bikini.
What are your goals for this month?
Love Abi xxxx